Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
The Underground Passageway is the long passage underneath the Kurosawa House that leads to the Hellish Abyss. Before its partial collapse, probably due to the Abyss's "rumblings", the passage linked up with other areas of the village such as Kureha Shrine. The passageway is haunted by the Mourners. As Mourners were not allowed above ground, they lived underground in the passage instead.
At the time of a Crimson Sacrifice Ritual, the Veiled Priests would lead the twins that were to participate in the ritual down this passageway.
Part of the passage was lined with the bodies of failed Kusabi, who died during the Cutting Ritual and were therefore not fit to be used as sacrifices.
Items of Note
- Fluorite #4 - at the beginning of the passage
- Stone Mirror in the cave-in at the first bend, behind the Mourner
- Type-90 Film - at the intersection of two cave-ins, on the floor
- Mourners - attack the whole way along the passage.
- Failed Kusabi - hidden ghost in the hole in the side of the passage.
- Near the end of the passageway, the Veiled Priests can be heard chanting faintly.
- There are a number of cave-ins along the passage; while it is known that these blocked areas are other houses and key ritual locations in the village, the only one that is actually visible is the Osaka House's basement.
- The name of the passageway translates more literally as "August (respected, noble) Path" or "Deep Path".