Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Obtained: Beat the game on Nightmare mode with any rank (Xbox)
Don't watch the scenes in Chapter 8 and defeat the Kusabi in less than a minute (Wii)
Canon: This is not considered a canon ending to the game.
Song: Chou (CB) / Kurenai (DCB)
Game: Fatal Frame II / Deep Crimson Butterfly
Fatal Frame II, available on the Xbox and in the remake, Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
As Mio runs to the Hellish Abyss to find her sister, the spirit of Yae Kurosawa splits from her body. Yae apologizes to her sister Sae for leaving her. The two hold hands and the ceremonial rope around their waists reforms. The two jump into the Hellish Abyss together, and Mio manages to pull Mayu from Sae's body. As Sae and Yae fall, Yae promises never to let her sister go again. The two emerge as a single crimson butterfly, saying "Thank you."
As Mio and Mayu watch, hundreds of crimson butterflies begin to emerge from the Hellish Abyss. Spirits stand all over the village to watch as they swarm up from Misono Hill, and Mio and Mayu walk up the path, hand in hand. Mio says that she regrets not having been there to hold Mayu's hand on the day that she fell and hurt her leg. Mayu explains that she was always afraid of having to live and die separate from her twin, but that she now realizes Mio has always been with her. Mio echoes Yae, promising never to let Mayu go again, and the sun rises over the village.
- This is the only 'additional' ending in the series so far that is NOT simply a photographic ending but was fully rendered for the Xbox version of the game.
- The joining of Yae's and Sae's red cords, along with their being dressed in white, mirrors the set-up of the Twins' Ceremony which is the non-fatal version of the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual.
- This ending was only available in the Xbox Director's Cut version of Fatal Frame II until the release of Deep Crimson Butterfly.
- For other Fatal Frame II endings, see Fatal Frame II Endings.
- For Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly endings, see Deep Crimson Butterfly Endings.