Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Mourners are the guardians of the Underground Passage and the Hellish Abyss that lies below Minakami Village. They are the only ones allowed to go near the Abyss. As tradition dictates, the village's criminals and those who have seen the Hellish Abyss are forced to become Mourners.
The Mourners also play a minor role in the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual. They live underground and are not allowed to venture to the surface.
As the time for the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual draws near, the Mourners sew their eyes closed to prevent seeing into the Hellish Abyss. The Mourners are present during the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual. They are charged with disposing of the body of the sacrificed twin by throwing it into the Abyss.
After the Tachibana twins' ritual failed, the Malice coming forth from the Hellish Abyss increased in strength. It became so strong that half of the Mourners were driven mad and jumped into the Hellish Abyss. The Ceremony Master, Ryokan Kurosawa, ordered more Mourners be made from "the sinners." He interpreted this as a warning sign that the Repentance was drawing near. This occurred just before Sae and Yae's cleansing began.
The Mourners participated in the ritual when Sae Kurosawa was hung and her body thrown into the abyss. However, the abyss erupted, causing the Repentance and the darkness to spread across the entire village.
- Since the Mourners' eyes are sewn shut, they cannot see Mio, but they can hear her. Therefore, if she is still while battling them, they will have a difficult time finding her.
- The ghosts' long-range attack involves swinging their arms around, as they attempt to grab out towards the unseen intruder.
- Unlike the other blind ghosts in the series, the Mourners techncially aren't blind. Their eyes are sewn shut when the ritual is about to be performed but afterwards the stiches are taken out and they can see again. As the last ritual took their lives before they could remove the stiches they were still unable to see even as ghosts.
- For other blind ghosts in the Fatal Frame Series, see Blind Ghosts.
- For other rituals in Fatal Frame II, see Fatal Frame II Rituals.
- For other hostile ghosts, see Hostile Ghosts.
- For related articles, see Related Articles:Mourners.
In Other Languages:
English - Italiano