Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Miku's Character Design
Fatal Frame Changes
When Fatal Frame was released in America, one of the major regional changes made (besides English language and voice acting) was changes to Miku's character design and default costume. These differences in Miku's form and costume were in hopes to make her more appealing to western audiences. The game's chapter panel artwork was also changed to reflect the new, more westernized, design. Amusingly enough, while the original costume is only available in the PS2 Japanese version (and Fatal Frame III), the Japanese costume is still considered Miku's 'official' costume and when she appears in other games, she is always wearing it. The other special costumes that are simply a different colour scheme of the costume, were NOT changed. When the game was released to the Xbox, more costumes were added that complimented the new design.
- Miku's haircolour - went from dark brown/black to a more reddish brown colour.
- Skintone - went from pale whites and greys to a more pinkish healthy skintone.
- Height - the new design is a few inches taller in comparison to the original.
- Skirt - Her skirt went from a three panel design to a complete solid skirt
- Body - gained more curves.
- Shirt - She has a tied scarf on her neckline, which was switched to a golden faceplate with four symbols on it.
- Necklace - went from black to gold.
- The Japanese Xbox version of the game uses the new Miku design.
- Miku's age (canonwise) has stayed at 17. (Aging 2 years to 19 in Fatal Frame III)
- Miku's Fatal Frame 3 design is based on the Japanese design thus making that the canon Miku design.
Fatal Frame III
In Fatal Frame III early concept artwork and renderings in the Zero 3 Comic Anthology suggest that her costume originally was going to have more of a midrif top. Ultimately though, her design gave a more modest appearance. Miku continues to wear her grandmother's hairclip in the new design. Unlike her previous game appearance, nothing changed in her overall design between regions.