Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Fatal Frame II
Masumi was sent to the Minakami region to survey the land that would be submerged once the Minakami Dam construction was complete. While studying the land, Masumi accidentally stumbled into the Lost Village and became trapped. He shifted the focus of his research to the history and rituals of Minakami in the desperate attempt to escape. Several fragments of his research can be found scattered throughout the village.
Although Masumi was reported missing, the authorities called off the search for him after only 10 days. Masumi’s girlfriend, Miyako Sudo, believed that he was still alive and went searching for him. At some point the two found each other, but Miyako somehow got hurt shortly after. Masumi left her in the Osaka House while he went to find a way out. Having learned that the Kurosawa family presided over the village’s rituals, he directed his search to the Kurosawa House. While in the Kurosawa house, Masumi was attacked by the Kusabi in a hallway. He attempted to hide in the Storeroom of the Great Hall and died there holding the ring he planned to give to Miyako.
Unable to accept this fate and longing to give Miyako the ring, Masumi’s ghost returned to the Osaka House. Miyako followed him into the back room, unaware that he was dead. As she approached, he pushed her to the floor and strangled her. His ghost, Unrest in Piece, continues to wander the village calling out to Miyako.
Bloody Ring SidequestBloody Ring Sidequest which goes into more detail concerning Miyako and Masumi's fate. The player must go around the village following Masumi's path based on notes he has left around the village and taking pictures of those locations. It ends with a battle with both Miyako and Masumi and an extendeded clip of the strangling scene, and gives the spirit stone and note as reward.
Alternate EndingsPromise Ending, available only on the Xbox console, Miyako and Masumi are seen arm in arm in the Osaka House, staring up at the sky like the other ghosts in the village, happy once more as the crimson butterflies fly away from the village. However, this ending is not considered canon.
Fatal Frame III
In Fatal Frame III, Kei Amakura briefly encounters Masumi's ghost, slashed to ribbons by the Kusabi, in the House of Sleep. The newspaper article Land Surveyors Missing reveals that the search for Masumi and Miyako has been officially called off and that the two are rumored to have been spirited away by the village.
File Photos of Masumi
- While Masumi and Miyako are considered boyfriend and girlfriend in Fatal Frame II, the article Land Surveyors Missing and the corresponding entry in Rei Kurosawa's notebook in Fatal Frame III both say that they are engaged. This may be a translation error in the English version of the game since in Fatal Frame II, Masumi was planning on proposing to Miyako, but never got the chance.
- For other lost loves in the Fatal Frame Series, see Lost Loves.
- For other hostile ghosts, see Hostile Ghosts.
- For information on other spirited aways, see Spirited Aways.
- For articles related to Masumi, see Related Articles:Masumi Makimura.
- For images related to Masumi, see Images of Masumi Makimura.