Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
|"I captured a ghost...with THIS camera."|
|Real name:||Mafuyu Hinasaki|
|Kanji:||雛咲 真冬 (ひなさき まふゆ)|
|Family:||Miku Hinasaki (sister)|
Miyuki Hinasaki (mother)
Masato Hinasaki (father)
|Cause of Death:||Spirited Away by staying with Kirie Himuro|
|Died:||October 6, 1986|
|Games:||Fatal Frame |
Fatal Frame III
|First Appearance:||Fatal Frame|
|Voice Actor:||Dominic Allen|
|Japanese Voice Actor:||Junichi Kanemaru|
|Fatal Frame Character|
- "The forbidden rituals of this area... It looks like Mr Takamine was doing research into them... I wonder if his group is still here..."
- ―Mafuyu Hinasaki src
Mafuyu Hinasaki has the honor of being the first playable character in the Fatal Frame Series. He is only playable for the introduction of Fatal Frame; after that, he's simply a secondary character in the game.
Mafuyu Hinasaki is the oldest of two children from Masato and Miyuki Hinasaki. After the disappearance (presumed death) of his father, and his mother's suicide, he took care of his younger sister Miku. Like Miku, Mafuyu inherited a sixth sense and was able to see things that normal people couldn't. Like his sister, he wasn't vocal about his unique ability to friends or co-workers.
Mafuyu Hinasaki worked under his mentor novelist Junsei Takamine. His fellow co-worker was Kei Amakura. Both were good friends with Yuu Aso, an aspiring folklorist. Mafuyu and Yuu were such good friends, that Mafuyu asked Yuu should anything happen to him, that his friend take care of his younger sister Miku.Koji Ogata, and Junsei's psychic assistant Tomoe Hirasaka travelled to the Himuro Mansion for research on Takamine's latest novel. After no word from the group for a month, Mafuyu went in search of Takamine and the others. With him, he took his mother's camera. It's unsure if Mafuyu actually knew the camera would come in handy or knew its unique properties.
When Mafuyu entered the mansion, he began to retrace the steps of Takamine and the others, while taking notes. The first ghost he encountered was the Bound Man. At one point Mafuyu tried to escape the mansion and was captured by the cursed rope shrine maiden Kirie Himuro. Kirie was under the impression that Mafuyu was her long-lost lover, who had been killed, since Mafuyu bore a striking resemblance to the young man. Due to this resemblance, Kirie releases Mafuyu. Upon awakening, Mafuyu continues wandering the mansion and becomes more deeply involved with discovering the mansion's gruesome past. In his notes, it is mentioned that the mansion is changing around him, placing Mafuyu in a sort of "time-warp". It should be noted that due to this time-warp, when Miku sees Mafuyu, he cannot hear nor see his dear sister. These images of Mafuyu when captured on film while playing as Miku are known as "Bro's Shadow".
Mafuyu is eventually rescued by his younger sister Miku; however, Mafuyu makes the choice to stay with Kirie, so she isn't lonely and to make sure she doesn't fail at her duty again. As Miku escapes the Himuro Mansion, Mafuyu and Kirie are buried in the underground caverns.
Mafuyu makes an appearance in Fatal Frame III as an apparition which Miku chases before slipping into a deep coma as a result of the Tattoo Maiden's curse. Mafuyu is also seen on a photograph on Miku's desk, and mentioned in Kei and Yuu's notes/letters. While neither friend outright says Mafuyu is dead, both say that he has been missing or 'lost' and Kei even suggests that Mafuyu might be one of many people who have been 'spirited away' ("Just like Junsei Takamine").
Alternate EndingsPhotograph Ending and the Mafuyu Ending of Fatal Frame, Miku and Mafuyu escape Himuro Mansion together, and Mafuyu lives. Because Mafuyu is presumed dead in Fatal Frame III, these endings are not considered canon.
- While Mafuyu does look exactly like Kirie's lover, there is no evidence that this man is in any way related to Mafuyu through the Kurosawa, Munakata, or Hinasaki lines.
- Mafuyu is credited as the 'author' for the 零 Novel.
- There is a glitch in the first game where players have found themselves as Mafuyu (instead of Miku) in the end stage of the game. However, you cannot leave the area nor play through the game as him. Simply examining the mirror stand will take the player to the First Night as Miku.
- There is an error in Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir concerning Mafuyu's age. In Haunted Visions mode, it states that Mafuyu is Miku's little brother. This is incorrect, for he is four years older than Miku.
- For quotes by Mafuyu, see Quotes: Mafuyu Hinasaki.
- For other members of the Hinasaki Family, see Hinasaki Family.
- For other members of the Munakata Family, see Munakata Family.
- For other members of the Kurosawa Family, see Kurosawa Family.
- For other player characters in the Fatal Frame Series, see Player Characters.
- For information on other spirited aways, see Spirited Aways.
- For articles related to Mafuyu, see Related Articles:Mafuyu Hinasaki.
- For images related to Mafuyu, see Images of Mafuyu Hinasaki.