Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
The Hell Gate is a gateway found underneath the Himuro Mansion. It is said to be the entrance to the land of the dead. Every 10 years, the Hell Gate would begin to open and was required to be resealed by the Blinding and Strangling Rituals. If the Hell Gate opened the Calamity would occur and Malice would spill out. The Himuro family gave themselves the duty of preventing this from ever occurring.
Also Known As
- Gates of the Underworld
- Kirie Himuro - final boss of the game, then seals the gate.
- White Kimono - appears during the ending.
- In 1837 the Ceremony of the Ropes, part of the Strangling Ritual, fails, causing the Hell Gate to open. The Calamity occurs and Malice is released.
- Kirie Himuro, upon being defeated by Miku Hinasaki merges back with White Kimono and reseals the gate.
- Mafuyu Hinasaki stays behind with Kirie.
- In Japan, the north-east direction was once called the "Demon's Gate" (鬼門, kimon) and is still considered an unlucky direction where spirits travel from.
- The gates appear to be covered in many ofuda talismans, Shinto tokens of protection.