Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Fatal Frame Series
From ZeroWikiKeisuke Kikuchi (菊地啓介) and Makoto Shibata (柴田誠) and produced by Tecmo. It is designed and programmed by Tecmo's game development group Project Zero. The settings of the Fatal Frame games are usually locations that are rumored to be haunted. The main character - usually a girl with a sixth sense - becomes trapped, but finds an antique camera with the ability to dispel ghosts. The Camera Obscura is a creation of the famed occultist Dr. Kunihiko Aso, who still remains quite a mystery himself in the series. As the protagonist makes her way through the game searching for her lost loved one, she learns more about ancient rituals that took place (and went horribly wrong) in the place where she has become trapped. In order to come out alive, the protagonist must solve the mystery of the ritual and lift the curse.
The Fatal Frame series had its beginnings when creator Keisuke Kikuchi was working on Tecmo's popular Kagero/Deception series. He began to toy with the idea of a player being forced to explore and find their way through a haunted house. Originally, Kikuchi had pitched the idea to Capcom, which, with its Resident Evil and Clocktower series, was then much more deeply involved in the survival horror genre than Tecmo. Capcom rejected the idea, but luckily Kikuchi successfully pitched the project to Tecmo.
At first, the game concept for the original Fatal Frame closely mirrored that of another popular Japanese Survival Horror Playstation video game series called Otogiriso (弟切草). Some of the old plot line of the story can still be read at the original Fatal Frame video game US website. The game's plot was gradually tweaked and altered into its current form.
The series has since grown to three installments (all making the Playstation Best of the Best list in Japan), with a fourth game currently only released in Japan for the Wii.
Timeline of the Series
So far, every game in the series has been connected in one way or another through family ties, acquaintances, or events. Check the Timeline for a complete time line of the series and actions of its characters.
Games in the series
- Fatal Frame
- Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
- Fatal Frame III: The Tormented
- Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
- Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly
Other Spinoff Games
- 零Sound : Cellphone Game/story series
- Real零 : Another Edition : Cellphone Game
- Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir : Nintendo 3DS Game
- Zero 4D : 3D Amusement Park Attraction
- 零 Novel : Novelization of first game
- Fatal Frame Fanbook: official fanbook encompassing information, characters, locations, etc from the first two games. It also includes a Novelization of the second game.
- Zero 3 Comic Anthology: Collection of supplementary stories drawn/written by popular horror manga artists.
In Other Languages:
English - Français