Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
The term "Easter Egg" refers to an hidden message or joke, or, in the case of the Fatal Frame Series, 'scare' in a video game. It was originally coined by Atari, after they pointed out a secret message left by Warren Robinett in the video game Adventure.
In the Fatal Frame Series, most easter eggs are usually visual or triggered events that just add extra 'scares' to the game. They are not necessary to gameplay, but make for a spookier experience.
Bloody Hand Prints
- Leaving the game unpaused for a bit of time will trigger bloody hand prints to appear on the screen as a screensaver.
Dropping Dolls' Heads
- While in the doll room after you awaken to the Second Night, if you walk close to the decorative dolls, some of their heads fall off and land on the floor.
- In certain areas of the mansion (such as the Dungeon, Rubble Room or Storehouse) the player can trigger disembodied whispers and even crying. What these voices say or who they belong to is unknown.
Face on Wall of Osaka House
Photograph of Mayu in the Great Hall of the Kurosawa House.
- This easter egg can be achieved on any difficulty level, with any costume. When you rejoin Mayu and see the Great Hall in Chapter 5 (without the Kusabi chasing you), take a picture of Mayu standing where Sae usually stands. An image will appear of hands reaching out to grab Mayu. This photograph does not appear on your spirit list or as an item.
Writing on Wall
- While exploring in the Tachibana House, the player will become locked within one of the closets. To get out, go into viewfinder mode. Looking at the room, 'Help me' will appear all over the walls in Japanese (written as タスケテ). Taking a picture of the room or waiting for a short period of time will unlock the door and allow the player to escape.
- The face of a child or adult will appear on the game screen of Fatal Frame II, if you keep the game lingering for too long without pausing.
- If you linger on the game menu, one of the Handmaidens slowly counts up to ten.
- If you linger in gameplay for too long without pausing, Reika's ghostly image will appear on the screen.
- During the course of the game, the hair on Miku's doll will grow longer and longer.
Stain on Wall
Faces in the Closet
- If you leave the game on any screen for a moderate, uninterrupted period of time, the black and white face of a ghostly nurse will repeatedly pop up across the screen.
- When you enter Kageri's room for the first time, go into viewfinder mode and the mannequin beside the coffin will turn its head towards you. Once you go out of viewfinder mode, the mannequin will return to its original position and not move again.
Hand Under Bed
- During Chapter 6, as Ruka enters the hospital for the first time, it's possible to view an additional cutscene. Head into the Former General Hospital and pick up the item on the bed to your left. This triggers a scene where a ghostly hand grabs Ruka's feet from beneath the bed.