Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Black Shadows, also known as "Bending Shadow", are the dark, shadowy figures that surround Yoshino Takigawa, apparently berating her for surviving the plane crash she was involved in. They hover around Yoshino constantly after she becomes a ghost. They are presumed to be manifestations of Yoshino's family members that were killed in the same plane crash of which only she survived, as taking an Undeveloped Photo of Yoshino and then giving it to Miku will result in her telling you that they are wearing the same clothes as Yoshino's family were when they died.
- They may not be Yoshino's real family; they could instead be unrelated spirits that attached themselves to her.
- Black Shadows cannot be "killed" permanently. They will continue to reappear, even after having been defeated multiple times.
- Black shadows also appear at the Abyss of the Horizon in the endings of the game, representing spirits crossing over.
- As the player has to focus on all of the shadows at once, they can be difficult to avoid at times if they corner the player.
- In Mission Mode, the Black Shadows do not attack independently; instead, four of them are arranged at fixed points around Yoshino, and must be avoided as she advances.
- The Black Shadows can be killed by Rei's "Flash" ability.
- For other hostile ghosts, see Hostile Ghosts.
- For articles related to Black Shadow, see Related Articles:Black Shadow.