Please remember to put Fatal Frame Remake items, people, locations, etc in the Category: Deep Crimson Butterfly.
Amane is one of the four Pacifiers (known as Handmaidens in the US/UK versions), appointed to serve in the Kuze Shrine. She served under and cared for Reika, the woman who was to be the Tattooed Priestess. Amane is the only one of the Pacifiers who was an actual member of the Kuze Family, and was also the first to be chosen.
She was the daughter of Kyouka and the half-sister of Kaname, Reika’s lover. Kyouka had an affectionate relationship with a visiting folklorist named Akito Kashiwagi. This produced a forbidden son, Kaname, so Kyouka sent the child away to a nearby village. Shortly before this, Akito disappeared. A few years later, another man was brought to Kyouka and this time she bore a daughter by him, who was Amane.
Like all the other Pacifiers, Amane wore ritual attire of white and red. However, unlike the other Pacifiers, she isn't armed with a stake or mallet. Most of the time Amane helps by showing the way and leaving clues.
Amane seems to have been the kindest of the Pacifiers. In her diary, she recalled how her mother told her she had a brother, but her mother told her not to tell anyone. She and Reika seem to have talked a great deal while Amane was taking care of her, and Amane wrote that she was happy to help diminish Reika's pain. It seems that she cared about Reika. She also wanted to help Reika and Kaname to meet again, although it was forbidden.
On the day of the ceremony, Amane sneaked her half-brother into the shrine to see Reika. Her deeds were discovered, and the Kuze Family Head, her grandmother, was furious. As punishment, Amane was impaled by the other Pacifiers at the bottom of the Abyss, becoming the first Handmaiden to die.
When Miku Hinasaki becomes trapped by the curse, Amane’s ghost sympathizes with her and aids her in unravelling the mystery of the House of Sleep. It is speculated that Amane is sympathetic towards Miku specifically because both of them are looking for, and have lost, their brothers. Because of the sympathetic bond between them, Miku initially dreams of singing the Handmaiden's Song, and later Amane appears in Rei's house, standing beside Miku and begging for help.
- While Amane is the little sister of Kaname Ototsuki, they have different fathers. She does in fact call Akito Kashiwagi 'father' in one of her diaries, but in official correlation charts her father is listed as an unnamed man, who was an Outsider.
- A side story focusing on Amane and the other Pacifiers is mentioned in the Zero 3 Comic Anthology. At the beginning of the story, Amane is already a Handmaiden and is set apart from the other three girls.
- You have the opportunity to fight against Amane in Mission Mode.
- Amane can be distinguished from the other Pacifiers by her braided pigtails.
- For quotes by Amane, see Quotes: Handmaidens
- For other members of the Kuze family, see Kuze Family.
- For other shrine maidens, see Shrine Maiden.
- For other rituals in Fatal Frame III, see Fatal Frame III Rituals.
- For other helpful ghosts in the Fatal Frame Series, see Helpful Ghosts.
- For related articles, see Related Articles:Amane Kuze.